Why Professional Furnace Repair Can Be a Lifesaver

Many people use a central furnace to heat their homes in the fall and winter. Though they are found in many homes, they are often complex devices that the average homeowner is unfamiliar with. Electricity, a combustible fuel source such as natural gas, and hot air are all needed. The boiler needs to get very hot in order to heat your entire house. There were about four furnace explosions a year on average in the 1960s and 1970s. Fortunately, modern technical advances have reduced the amount to around 0.3 per year. Repairing and maintaining your furnace on a regular basis will help keep the risks to a minimum. Check HVAC Contractor Naperville Near Me.

Even though there has been a significant decrease in furnace-related injuries, there are still news reports about the disastrous and sometimes tragic consequences of defective boilers. A home in Indianapolis exploded in late 2012, killing two people and seriously damaging at least a dozen houses, forcing them to be demolished. The landlord, John Shirley, told the press that he assumed the fire was caused by a malfunctioning heater. In the days leading up to the blast, he and his family started smelling gas.

Although the Shirley family claimed to have hired a contractor to fix the device, their chosen handyman obviously did not do a good job. Furthermore, by the time a homeowner detects a gas leak, he or she has most likely already allowed things to deteriorate to that stage. Inspections for furnace repair and maintenance on a regular basis will make a big difference.

According to one contractor, annual maintenance visits could prevent approximately 95% of all explosions. A major part of the approach is becoming mindful of the possibilities. The contractor claims that he was called in to look at an air conditioning device on one job and asked the customer if he’d like him to look at the heating unit as well while he was there. The homeowner dismissed him at first, but when the contractor reminded him that “you can’t be too careful,” he changed his mind. The contractor found a “one in 10,000” problem that could have been catastrophic after further investigation. Gas was slowly filling the house since the pilot light had gone out and the redundant shut-off valve had failed. Propane, which is heavier than air, was used in this heater. Propane remains at the bottom of the space and emits less odour than natural gas due to its denser molecular makeup. If an open flame, electric spark, or even a mono-filament light bulb had come into contact with the gas, it would have combusted, igniting the entire building. Fortunately, a little forethought and a swift furnace repair averted the worst-case scenario.